GREENVILLE - In the history of the Mississippi river.... river pirates are nothing new.... but these days... there's a self-styled river pirate raising money for others.
You don't meet people like Peter Frank every day.
Call him what you will.... off-beat... quirky... unusual... but you've got to call him dedicated.
He's paddling down the Mississippi, disguised as a pirate... all for a good cause.
"I primarily I'm raising money for a charity in Marquette, Michigan. It's called the Beacon House, it's kinda like Ronald McDonald house, or St. Jude Hospital. When I was 14 years old I was hit by a car after the beacon house had given my family a place to stay while I was in the hospital, I rode a unicycle across America and I raise 28-thousand dollars in funds for the organization," he said.
He hopes to raise more on this trip.... he hopes the pirate get up... which happened quite by accident after he beaded his hair... will help.
"I looked at myself in the mirror one day and said hey I look kinda like a pirate and I thought it would be so funny if I just pretended to be a pirate and I made the hat. I sewed it myself over the winter. Made out of 100 percent deer hide, did it all myself and now I'm paddling the Mississippi river and I get a kick out of it," he explained.
He posts to social media every day so we can all keep track of his progress. Look for the link in the picture in this story.
He expects to make it to the Gulf of Mexico, in 3 or 4 weeks.
"How do I top myself next year? I don't know, we'll just have to see where the road takes me," he said.
For now, the road will take him down the meandering Mississippi...with periodic stops along the way.
As featured on
- Some Virginia players to get extra eligibility
- Labor Market Kept It Tight in 2022
- ‘Worth the wait’: U.S. Senate Democrats celebrate a 51-seat majority with Georgia win
- Notre Dame standout TE Michael Mayer to enter draft
- AHA News: A Heart Attack During Pregnancy, Then Heart Valve Surgery
- Animation at HBO Max & Cartoon Network Will Continue With ‘Batwheels’ Season 2
- ‘Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles’ Star Tracy Tutor Talks Rivalries, Romance & Season 14 Drama
- Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes unfazed by foot issue
- Express Grain's Coleman facing state, federal charges
- Greenwood, Leflore & Businesses feel impact of GLH problems
- This Is the Poorest City in Mississippi
- Inside the brainstorming session to save GLH
- The shocking solution one Senator has for the failing Greenwood-Leflore Hospital
- GLH makes national news, as CEO asks for rule changes
- Kanye West claims IRS has frozen four of his bank accounts due to 50 million dollar tax debut
- Congressman Thompson helps guide GLH into uncertain future
- Purdue QB Aidan O'Connell away from team after brother's death
- Houston police pay tribute to Takeoff after murder suspect arrest